City of Pomona Office Assistant I/II in Pomona, California
APPLY IMMEDIATELY This recruitment will be open until April 4, 2018. However, the City reserves the right to limit the applications considered to the first 50 qualified applications. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Thinking of a career in public service and have a skill set well suited to public service? If you have ever wanted to work in a government department or become an important component of your community, you have come to the right place.
The City is currently looking for a qualified Office Assistant to fill a vacancy in the Community Services Division of the Neighborhood Services Department.
As an Office Assistant I/II to this division, you will receive valuable public sector experience as well as an opportunity to make a positive impact on your community and your career. Under the direct supervision of the Community Services Manager, with additional guidance provided by division leadership, the Office Assistant I/II will perform a variety of duties that provide administrative support throughout the Division. Though not all are listed, some examples of duties may include:
- Counting revenue and preparing for deposit
- Tracking revenue on spreadsheets
- Paying invoices and utility bills
- Delivering and picking up mail to/from City Hall
- Filing and maintaining files per grant requirements
- Assist with purchasing
- Supporting special events
- Answering and routing telephone calls from staff and community
This position is classified as at-will, hourly, part-time. Hourly, part-time positions average 20 hours per week and less than 1,000 hours in a twelve (12) month period.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS TO APPLY:
Any combination equivalent to experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be:
High school graduate or GED equivalency, plus one (1) year of clerical experience.
Must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license and have a good driving record. Final candidates are required to submit authorization for the City to run a report from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
The ideal candidate will have the following skills:
- Adept with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) including the use of formulas in Excel;
- Competence performing mathematical calculations related to finance and ensuring number accuracy;
- Attention to detail with good organization and time management skills to complete tasks;
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and technology;
- Self-motivated, willing to learn and able to work well in a team environment;
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment;
- Ability to communicate effectively with tact, courtesy and good judgment in dealing with the public and staff; evaluate situations and deal with the public under circumstances that require diplomatic handling; understand and follow oral and written instructions; work cooperatively and effectively with others; perform general clerical work with independent judgment, neatness, thoroughness, and accuracy.
Perform a wide variety of general clerical work including maintaining records, verifying accuracy of information, and recording information; maintain departmental records and files in alphabetical, numerical, chronological or other predetermined order; type and proofread a variety of documents including general correspondence, agendas, reports, newsletters, and memoranda; assist in the development of forms and worksheets; accurately input data entry of confidential information and/or other types of information into computer systems; receive, deposit and account for money; respond to inquiries and/or problems over the telephone and in person and direct individuals to appropriate information sources; search records and compile reports; receive calls and visitors; respond to general complaints and requests for information from the public; interpret basic services, policies, rules, and regulations in response to inquiries and complaints; assist in the resolution of concerns and complaints; refer inquiries to appropriate staff; route calls and take messages; and perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The work schedule days and hours may vary, but will typically be 5 hours/day Monday through Thursday.
Screening of qualifications and "most qualified" is based on the information provided on the official City Application. A resume may be attached to your application, but will not substitute for the completion of your application. Applications that are not entirely completed may be rejected. This recruitment may also establish a list for future vacancies.
To complete your application for this position you will be prompted to respond to supplemental questions. Incomplete responses, false statements, omission, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process. Your responses should be consistent with the information provided on your application. The information will be used as part of the application screening and selection process and is designed to help you present your qualifications for this position. This may include a selection step in which your application and supplemental questions are reviewed and scored by a panel of raters familiar with this position.
Final candidates are required to submit authorization for the City to run a report from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Salary placement will depend on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Job Title: Office Assistant I/II
Closing Date/Time: Wed. 04/04/18 6:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $15.00 - $20.00 Hourly
Job Type: Part-Time
Location: Palomares Park - 499 E. Arrow Hwy, Pomona, CA, California